Zur deutschen VersionSee the english version
The Open-Air Museum
The Mill Museum
Chronicle of Stoffels Saw-Mill
The Cultural History of Mills
Opening hours

The Historic Trades District

Mentioned for the first time in 1549 in connection with inherited estates, the Count of Hohenems' mill monopoly supplied the population of Hohenems with the necessary daily rations of flour.
Sawmills have been in use in this area since 1626.
At the beginning of the 19th century, when the hereditary line of Counts of Ems died out, the different patents for trades and crafts were sold to private persons. Due to rising industrialization, water power was used more intensively now. In the course of time there were altogether four flour-mills, eight sawmills, as well as tow-, hemp- and tan-stamps driven by the waters of the Salzbach stream. Later three weaving mills, a spinning mill, a dye-work and a printing office were established on the stream.

Grinding mills (1880 und 1885)